We are Moving!!!!!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.


We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, January 16, 2009

Review - Starquest by Hywela Lyn

Title: Starquest
Author: Hywela Lyn
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Buy Link: Starquest

Rating: You Could Read

Reviewed by: Laura

Jestine “Jess” Darnell is a missionary roaming the galaxy attempting to recruit others. When her ship begins to self-destruct, she is offered a hand by a ship called The Destiny. She becomes acquainted with the crew and ends up spending quite a bit of time on their ship. As time goes on, she becomes close to the second-in-command, Kerry Marchant. Kerry and Jess fall in love and plan to be together forever. Upon arrival in Phidia, they are attacked by Ayando, an evil creature determined to cause pain and havoc. Kerry’s life is spared because Jess throws her body in the way of the shot meant to kill Kerry. After being presented with Jess’ body, Kerry and the rest of the crew of The Destiny dispose of her body in a most fitting way. Jess, however, is still very much alive unbeknownst to anyone. She awakes to find The Destiny has gone and left her behind. She employs a man named Dahll to take her on his ship in hopes of finding the love of her life. The story continues with Jess’ journey to locate The Destiny and reunite with Kerry in a true love meant to last forever.

I began the story with much anticipation of a good romance story in outer space. While it might be enjoyed by science fiction fans, it was sorely lacking for me. The different planets and their inhabitants and customs took far too much away from the central theme. There was much ado about the different traditions and vegetation indigenous thereto. I found it very distracting and immaterial to the heart of the story; i.e., the search for a lost love. While I understand that the thrust of the story changes midway, I found it difficult to make the transition from one love to another; especially when the transition comes from out of left field. Jess is searching for Kerry for the entire book. But at the end, she decides that she is really in love with Dahll. She has only expressed brother-sister type feelings for Dahll. Then, all of a sudden, she is in love with him? I respect the author’s obvious endeavor to provide a love story with a twist but this is not a story I particularly cared for.


  1. Thank you for taking the trouble to read and review my book.

  2. Everyone is entitled to their own views of what constitutes a romance story, but I have read StarQuest -- twice! -- and absolutely love it! Jess's adventures to other planets were incredible. I especially got the creeps when she landed on the one where carnivous plants attacked and ate each other...brrr...That place would give me nightmares! I was so happy when she and Dahll blasted away from there. And the ending worked the only way it could have. StarQuest is an adventurous, stirring, touching romance, and it has quickly become one of my favorites.

  3. Perhaps someone who enjoys science fiction should have reviewed this book. I would imagine a science fiction fan would not have given a very good review for one of my contemporary romances :)

  4. I have to say that I agree 100 percent with Miss Mae. Starquest has a permanent spot on my top shelf. I thought the story well developed and the twists fantastic. I can't wait until Children of the Mist is available!



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.