We are Moving!!!!!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Review - Journey to Forgiveness by Laurean Brooks

Title: Journey to Forgiveness
Author: Laurean Brooks
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press

Buy Link: Journey to Forgiveness

Rating: You Gotta Read

Reviewed by: Val

Blurb:

When Jenny Hinson's abusive father deserts the family, the responsibility of the family's Tennessee farm falls to Jenny and her mother. Four years later, in 1938, boll weevils infest the cotton crop, plunging the Hinsons into dire financial straits and Jenny takes the train north to find work. Electricity has yet to reach rural Chicory Valley. But, not only is the young woman introduced to it in its tapped form in Chicago, but also encounters a few jolts along the way when she challenges the infuriating Austin Grant over a luggage mishap. Sparks fly outside the Kankakee train station when Jenny discovers her missing vanity case under Austin's arm. She immediately labels him a thief. And after Austin coaxes money from her aunt's congregation, Jenny determines to find enough evidence to expose him and his nefarious deeds. Why did Austin pull money from the mission strong box and stuff a sizable roll into his pocket? Wasn't this just the proof Jenny needed? Then why was she reluctant to report the theft? And why did her heart race at every encounter with the notorious Austin? Jenny's personal convictions would never allow a relationship where trust was blatantly missing. Can Jenny muster enough courage to ask Austin the tough questions that will ultimately make or break their relationship? Can she forgive her father's brutality? Find out as you follow Jenny's struggles in "Journey To Forgiveness."

Review:

If an old fashioned tender romance with a deeper purpose than just your ordinary romance novel is what you are seeking, then search no longer, you have now found it. Journey to Forgiveness is a tale that is intricately woven with both romance and a strong sense of faith. I have so much to say about this book but let me just start with the characters.

Jenny's character was a woman who had one heck of a time holding her tongue. She was a free spirited woman who spoke things exactly as she saw them and it tended to get her in trouble more than a time or two. She was straightforward without being rude and was a delightful character to spend some time with. The predicaments Jenny gets into while trying to avoid Austin were laugh out loud funny. Austin turned out to be one of my most loved hero's of all the books I have read. He was a powerful and passionate man of God who found a special bond with Jenny. Austin was patient, loving, oh so funny and very outgoing. I think these were traits that made me fall in love with his character. The simple little actions he made towards Jenny touched my heart and by the end of the book, I don't know who was more in love, Jenny or myself. The characters in this book showed intense feelings of both love and conflict. It really gripped my heartstrings.

Let's move on to the plot line.

Journey to Forgiveness held a genuinely engaging plot line. A riveting read, I felt this was more than a romance novel, it became a part of my heart and soul. The twists and turns throughout the book were fascinating and I certainly didn't see them coming. My jaw hit the floor on many occasions and I felt myself rooting for Austin and Jenny. There were many hilarious parts of the book.

My favorite line in the book was by Jenny who thought "Two words could describe a romantic involvement. Ultimate insanity." This is the perfect sentence to summarize this hilarious and poignant story.

I took a journey of forgiveness with Ms. Brooks and I enjoyed every single moment of it. Ms. Brooks is a very talented writer who just found herself a new fan. The writing style was very invigorating and unique. I recommend taking your time to read this book. Take time to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Take time to enjoy this book through the eyes of someone who is seeing a great deal of things that are new to her. Journey to Forgiveness contained all the elements of an outstanding novel. Humor, romance, sarcasm, action and drama and what made this book extra special to me was the strong belief of having faith in God. I enthusiastically encourage you to pick this book up. This book is very well deserved of the You Gotta Read rating I gave it. I thank Ms. Brooks for writing a book that is so much more than just another romance book. She has given me inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic and congratulations! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.