We are Moving!!!!!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.


We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review - Jantsen's Gift by Pam Cope with Aimee Molloy

Title: Jantsen's Gift
Author: Pam Cope with Aimee Molloy
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Buy Link: Jantsen's Gift

Rating: You Need to Read

Reviewed by: Tami

Blurb: Nine years ago, Pam Cope owned a cozy hair salon in the tiny town of Neosho, Missouri, and her life revolved around her son's baseball games, her daughter's dance lessons, and family trips to places like Disney World. She had never been out of the country, nor had she any desire to travel far from home.

Then, on June 16th, 1999, her life changed forever with the death of her 15-year-old son from an undiagnosed heart ailment.

Needing to get as far away as possible from everything that reminded her of her loss, she accepted a friend's invitation to travel to Vietnam, and, from the moment she stepped off the plane, everything she had been feeling since her son's death began to shift. By the time she returned home, she had a new mission: to use her pain to change the world, one small step at a time, one child at a time. Today, she is the mother of two children adopted from Vietnam. More than that, she and her husband have created a foundation called "Touch A Life," dedicated to helping desperate children in countries as far-flung as Vietnam, Cambodia and Ghana.

Pam Cope's story is on one level a moving, personal account of loss and recovery, but on a deeper level, it offers inspiration to anyone who has ever suffered great personal tragedy or those of us who dream about making a difference in the world.

Review: OK, first let me apologize for what I'm about to say. I am NOT a non-fiction memoir reading type of person. I want something to take me away from reality, not bring it closer to home. Now, let me apologize for being that way because Mrs. Cope and Ms. Molloy have opened up my eyes and placed me outside of my box, outside of what I would consider my comfort zone.

I figured that this book would be just an exploration of a woman's grief over loosing her son (Pam, you are a great woman) and how she overcame and boom, happy ending. This book was all of that, and then some more. I learned more by reading this book than I did in most of my history classes. Because the history that Mrs. Cope takes us to is current day. I know, that sounds a little off, but each moment in our life is a part of history in the making.

Pam was able to show me that the things that you wouldn't even imagine are happening in the world. It's part of past history, and also a part of current history that no one wants to hear. It's hard enough to hear of the heartbreak of the past, but then to be made aware that the past is currently being lived, but under the radar. But is it really under the radar or do we put it there to make our lives a little easier to live? I recommend that everyone read this book. I challenge you to step out of your comfort zone, out of your little box, and experience what the world really is, through the eyes of a child, a lost and lonely child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.