We are Moving!!!!!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Review - Surviving A House Full of Whispers by Sharon Wallace

Title: Surviving A House Full of Whispers


Author: Sharon Wallace


Publisher: Modern History Press


Buy Surviving A House Full of Whispers Here!


Rating: You Gotta Read


Reviewed by: Roberta


My book is a true account of my life living in the 60s and 70s. I was beaten until my bones were broke and when I believed it could not possibly get worse, my abuser upped the ante and started to sexually abuse me. My first in the trilogy “A House Full Of Whispers” is being re-edited by my publisher and will be released as a 2nd edition the end of 2009.


“Surviving a house full of whispers” starts directly where the first book finishes, taking the reader on my journey through extreme pain and torture as I fought to stop my abuser raping me, or worse.



Upon realizing History does not have to be repeated, and stopping the dysfunctional lineage from generations of abusers. I went on to become a fair decent woman- wife – and mother.


My journey deals with illness – homelessness –and an uphill battle to survive against the odds.



Review: I begin this review by saying, I do not know what it is like to be a survivor of abuse. My only reference point is having worked with abused teenagers for a time.


Sharons' account of her life from the time she leaves her abusers will leave you wondering how any one person could go through the things she did and still be thriving as a woman, a daughter, a mother, and a grandmother. She has endured more pain than any one person should. She is a testament of courage, survival and shows how she broke the cycle of abuse with her own children. There is a passage in the book that speaks volumes. It states "We don't have to repeat history and we don't have to own the misery of our childhoods." She is one remarkable woman for having the courage to write her story for all the world to see. I truly believe if you are a survivor of abuse this will help in your own recovery. It is not graphic into the actual abuse but shows her emotions and journey to what I consider the other side.


Before each chapter and at the end of some, are some of the most heart wrenching poems I have ever read. Reading the poems alone, you can see the journey Sharon has made. Please be advised, this book is not meant for everyone to read. However, I came away with a new understanding and a blessing for having read Sharon's story.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Antonia,

    Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I am forwarding this on to the author. You can read more about Sharon Wallace at http://www.sharonwallace.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Roberta! While true stories are not usually my forte, I like the sound of this book and think I will add it to my "must read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this review of my work its comforting to know my experiences may help other. My poetry is the best way to reflect my personal journey and through my cloudy days I always found a ray of sunshine along its darkest hrs.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.