We are Moving!!!!!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.


We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Friday, October 23, 2009

Review - Grim and Grimmer edited by Adrienne Jones & Pete S. Allen

Title: Grim and Grimmer: Dark Tales for Dark Times

Author: Edited by Adrienne Jones & Pete S. Allen

Publisher: A Mundania Press Production

Buy Grim and Grimmer Here!

Rating: You Could Read - An Average or slightly less than average book

Reviewed by: Shawn Weisser

Grimm and Grimmer is a collection of fairy tales told from a modern perspective.

Part of the attraction of the original Grimm Brothers' tales was that of their relevance to their audience, and the tales in this book capture the magic and horror of living in modern times.

Though the settings vary, the talented authors within the cover of this book speak to the mysterious, the unknown and the unknowable, which is not lost in these times.

When I read the description of the book I was hooked. I love fractured tales, or fables and fairy tales that have been altered, and I thought this would be a great read. The editors compiled stories written by numerous authors who retold these stories of old in a new manner. Some were socioeconomically based on haves and have not’s, while others had twisted the stories to meet modern day. Although each story was interesting to read none really made me smirk, grin, laugh, of shudder. In fact, I had to force myself to keep reading each story as I became more disheartened with each story. I believe I would not have felt this way if I had read the book in smaller increments. I think that the stories could even be used in an educational setting to teach high school or collegiate level students about fractured tales (literature) or socioeconomic issues in our world today. They could be used as a commentary on life but not ready for entertainment. I had high hopes for enjoying the stories contained within the eye-catching cover but think that the cover was the most enjoyable part of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.