We are Moving!!!!!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Review - She-Rain by Michael Cogdill



Title: She-Rain

Author: Michael Cogdill

Publisher: Morgan James Publishing

Buy Link

Rating: You GOTTA read

Reviewed by: Val




Blurb:
In the early 20th Century, a pair of North Carolina mountain children sow the seed of a love that becomes their only solace in the hard yet beautiful world they know. They grow it from steep ground of poverty, ignorance, and violence. A landscape so brutal it can kill hope long before claiming life.

Bloodshed years later finally sends Frank Locke on the run, deep into wilderness, abandoning his extraordinary love, Mary Lizbeth. When a whitewater river washes this desperate soul into the hands of Sophia, he discovers a luminous woman steeped in mystery, trapped in a tragically brilliant life. Far ahead of her time. Secreted from the world. As she awakens Frank's mind, they rise to meet a love that binds three people for a lifetime.

This love triangle forms a beauty no one sees coming. From the wilds of Appalachia, crossing nearly a century, it runs deep into a lush American fortune, and lives in letters of adoration and hope of the least expected.


Review:
She-Rain is unlike any book that I have read before. While reading the beginning of the book, I must confess I wasn't really sure if it was my kind of book or not. As I continued to read on, it was like something just clicked within me. The writing style, the plot and most importantly, the characters, captured my heart and held on until the final page. This will not be a short review so let me begin with the writing style. I haven't read very many books that have reached the caliber that She-Rain has. It has been said many times that this book is poetic. The words in this book were compelling and genuine. The imagery was magnificent and I could find myself feeling as though I were really there with Frank and his mother or Mary Lizbeth. This book was powerful and eloquently written. It is evident that the author had poured his heart and soul into She-Rain.

Now on to the plot. When I first picked up this book, I thought "there is no way that any author can make a love triangle seem anything but tawdry". I was sorely mistaken. This is not the story of a man stringing two women along. She-Rain is about a love that Frank finds with two very distinctively different women. Mary Lizbeth is a girl that Frank has secretly loved for so very long. They have much in common with each other and both come from humble beginnings. Sophia on the other hand, holds a different kind of interest for Frank. She is a young woman who has been kept from society because of her color. Her parents had wanted to shield her from bigotry that they knew others would bestow upon their dear daughter. Sophia has been educated and has all that she could want other than friends. She is a very lonely woman. When Sophia learns of Mary Lizbeth, she begins to correspond with her and the two become very good friends with one thing in common, Frank. She Rain will push you beyond your way of thinking and present to you a very pure love that is seldom seen.

I could relate very well with the characters in this book. The one part of the book that held a lot of emotion for me was when Frank's father would beat him for no reason. As he matured, he grew to hate his father for how Frank Sr. treated he and his mother. The bond that Mary Lizbeth and Frank had was very touching. They were there for each other no matter what. Sophia's character brought a lot of conflicted emotions in me but I soon found myself being enamored by her and the lengths she would go to for the love of Frank.

She-Rain is a spellbinding, well written book that I see having a very prosperous future. Mr. Cogdill went above and beyond with the storytelling and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. I highly recommend this book to anyone. If at first you find that you don't think it will be your kind of book, just hang in there, continue reading the book, you will LOVE it. She-Rain is a very unique book that intrigued me, challenged me and fulfilled me. I feel as though It is a book of hope, love, tragedy and survival. You don't want to miss this book and I guarantee this book is worth every penny. Mr. Cogdill, you have my sincere appreciation of your writing and I hope to read many more books from you in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Val, thank you!!! I'm covered in gratitude for your time spent in She-Rain. To learn it entertained and held such meaning for you rewards me beyond words.

    I wrote She-Rain in pursuit of a legacy tale. Many times I've doubted my ability to give it the power I wanted it to possess. Your review tells me I have not worked in vain!

    May it keep giving you joy.

    My warmest peace, with thanks for spreading the word of She-Rain!

    Michael Cogdill

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.