We are Moving!!!!!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Review - Put On Your Crown by Queen Latifah


Title: Put on Your Crown: Life-Changing Moments on the Path to Queendom

Author: Queen Latifah, Samantha Marshall

Publisher: Grand Central Publishing

Buy Put On Your Crown Here!

Rating: You Want to Read - A Good book.


Reviewed by: Shawn M. Weisser


Modeled after Maria Shriver's Just Who Will You Be, Queen Latifah's goal with Put On Your Crown is to help young women build a strong sense of self-esteem. A US Dept. of Justice survey found that females ages 16-24 are more vulnerable to partner violence than any other group, almost triple the national average. Cases like Chris Brown's assault on pop star Rihanna showed an ugly side of adolescent life. However, Queen Latifah has always been a shining example of a woman happy with herself and unwilling to compromise to fit into the "hollywood ideal" of what a confident beautiful woman should look like. The result: She's one of the biggest A-list celebrities in Hollywood.


As I was preparing for three major changes in my life; my daughter leaving for college, moving to a new state, and starting a new job, I was given the opportunity to review this audio book. It was just what I needed, a book that would help me become the person I needed to be in my new role and a message to give my now adult daughter. This book was the missing step for me to move from mom, wife, and teacher-librarian into a more grown up role of administrator. It helped me realize that it was okay to be this person. It was okay for me to achieve outside of my family and I deserved to be in my chosen profession and to be happy. When I finished this book I packed it up and gave it to my daughter to listen to at college. I think it has the words and message I wanted to say before sending her off in a world I was certain I had not fully prepared her for, which she refutes any time I give her advice. Ms. Dana Owens, aka Queen Latifah, thanks for the inspirational words of wisdom for my own benefit and that of my daughter. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.