We are Moving!!!!!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.


We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Review – Innocent by Scott Turow

Title: Innocent

Author: Scott Turow

Publisher: Hatchette Publishing

Buy Link: Buy Innocent Here!

Rating: You Could Read

Reviewed by: Shawn Weisser


The sequel to the genre-defining, landmark bestseller Presumed Innocent, INNOCENT continues the story of Rusty Sabich and Tommy Molto who are, once again, twenty years later, pitted against each other in a riveting psychological match after the mysterious death of Rusty's wife.


This story continues the tale of Judge Rusty Savich and those in his life. An affair, inappropriate contact with a suspect, and a death in the family set the scene for this trial of the century. Turow, an entertaining author, has all of the necessary elements of a good book. I am not sure the audio book did justice to the story. The readers used odd pronunciations of words as if they were unfamiliar.

In listening to the audio book, Innocent, I felt a bit left out of the story. It is possible that since I had not read the previous book, Presumed Innocent, I was unaware of the characters' history and therefore I was not connected. This may have been the underlying reason that although I believe the book is good it is not great. In my opinion a sequel needs to be able to stand alone and this one did not. It took the third CD to get me involved enough to where I wanted to continue. I did not feel sympathy for any of the characters but I did want to figure out the "who dunnit" part so I continued to listen. Actually, I was pretty sure of the who but not the how and the why was pretty obvious from the third CD.

I also had issues with some terminology. The term "coppers" was used often. Although I read it in British books and hear it in British TV shows or movies, I do not find it in American made materials. The book was set in the US so it felt a bit out of place. Innocent was not an enjoyable 'read' for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.