We are Moving!!!!!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.


We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Review – Enslaved By Cassandra Dean


Title: Enslaved

Author: Cassandra Dean

Publisher: Decadent Publishing

Buy Link: Buy Enslaved Here!

Rating: You Want to Read

Reviewed by: Valentina C.


I was to teach a slave.

Marcus, a gladiator in my father's ludus, was compelled to my presence to learn of Rome's gods, her legends. When first he came, fear consumed me - fear of this silent, resentful slave who burned with his anger.

Time, though, changes much. Marcus softened and I grew unafraid. As we became closer, I grew more than merely unafraid -- I grew to love him.

Never did I think we would be separated.

I was wrong.


This is a well-crafted, thoroughly researched novel. Ms. Dean has managed to capture an interesting period of time that we don’t read about very often.

The setting is really the star here. We can almost smell the sweat from the arenas where gladiators fight, the perfumes that the Roman women wore. The sounds of clashing swords fill the air as we read, throwing us back in time. We follow Lucia as she falls for a slave who is made to learn about his captors. The plot develops smoothly, nothing is rushed, and it feels completely believable, which is usually the issue with this genre, the lack of a coherent storyline. It is not the case with this one.

The relationship between the two main characters is intriguing, slow to appear yet strong. Lucia and Marcus are well paired, with personalities different enough for conflicts to form. There is an interesting mix of politics in the story, which makes for a very different kind of romance novel. This is by far, one of the more unique ones I’ve read and I can easily recommend it for lovers of romance but also of historical fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.